Friday, March 1, 2013

Salad-in-a-jar

I hate salads. I HATE salads. I HATE SALADS!

Ok now that we have that out of the way, I have to admit, I like french fries more. Here's the reason, french fries are easy to make. Salads I have to cut the vegetables, and wash the vegetables, and measure the dressing. If it's not fat free you are looking at 4 points, easily. Which is no fun because I LOVE ranch dressing.

I LOVE salad-in-a-jar. The reason why is because you can easily make it ahead of him. So I do not have to worry when I have days I have to sub because I have a full lunch ready for me. I have read that you can make it ahead of time, up to 4 days. I have not let it stand for 4 days because that is kind of long time to have a salad prepared. The salad in a jar works great because the lettuce never gets soggy, which is part of the reason I hated salads in the first place. One jar makes 1 big salad OR 2 side salads.

This is the side salad version

Full size salad after I ate a bit of it




The way you have to layer it is...
1. Dressing on the bottom
2. Mushrooms, squash, cucumbers (anything that needs to be marinated because it will be drowned in dressing)
3. Broccoli
4. Tomatoes
5. Spinach
6. As much lettuce as you can fit in there. I mean pack it in good. I do.
7. In this one I tried pecans on top because I like crunch in my salad but I did not love the pecans in there. I make it without now.

All you have to do is shake the bottle up and when you are ready to eat it and it's done. Really it is great when you are in a rush in the mornings.

I will next buy plastic jars because these glass ones scare me when they are in my lunch box.

Also, wide mouth jars would be more convenient because you can get things in and out easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment