Sunday, February 17, 2013

Makeover Sunday Brunch Casserole

Hey everybody! So I had lost 5% of my total body weight last week and got my sticker which made me so happy. I am still a bit from my goal but I am keeping my head high.

Dinner tonight was a wonderful breakfast for dinner recipe from Taste of Home "Light Comfort Food"

Makeover Sunday Brunch Casserole Yields 8 servings for 5 wwpp

6 bacon strips (we used turkey bacon)
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 cartons (8 ounces each) egg substitute
4 eggs
1 cup fat-free milk
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (we used cubed hash browns)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (we used regular shredded cheese)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dill weed

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain.
 Crumble bacon and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender; remove with a slotted spoon.
(sorry I did not have a picture of them sauteed but this is how much I used. Could not even taste the onions)
In a large bowl, whisk egg substitute, eggs and milk. Stir in the hash browns, cheese, salt, pepper, dill weed, onion mixture and crumbled bacon. DO NOT PUT THE HOT ONIONS AND PEPPERS IN THE EGG MIXTURE!!! LET IT COOL BEFORE YOU DO SO OR ELSE YOU WILL HAVE SCRAMBLED EGGS IN YOUR BOWL!
Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. (We added a little extra cheese on top. YUM!)

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. I had to add an extra 20 minutes to the cook time.
Cut into 8 pieces. The pieces are pretty modest.


And of course, because I love Tex-mex food, I love Pace Picante sauce.

 Now you can add other things to this mixture like mushrooms, Rotel, jalapenos, really whatever you like with your eggs. If you want to add black beans, it will add points to the meal so be prepared.

Also, this would be very good if you had two tortillas and halved the piece of casserole in the two tortillas.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment